Sunday, March 27, 2011

Island Party




Come with me, you're my date. I'm taking you to a party and you will love it. It's down a lonely road in the low country of South Carolina. We've left Charleston. We're going over the Esau Jenkins Bridge, under a canopy of old oaks, passed truck farms and down a dirt road you could easily miss if I weren't at the wheel.




At last we see it and it looks new but is this a new house? Could be a restored Antebellum.  There are people on the porch, oh good, we're not the first to arrive. OK, let's go in. Wow, beautiful. Go on, I'm going to explore on my own. This doesn't seem to be a party where everyone congregates in the kitchen. But look there are just four rooms and this giant hallway that cuts through from front to back and side to side.

Waterside porch through the doors on the left and the library on the right.


Ok, true confessions: I've been here before, just once. I painted the mural that lines the hallway. The mural was created in California but I came for the installation and now I am back for a party given by the owners in celebration of the craftspeople who put this house together. In future posts I'm going to thoroughly explore this space to show you all of my mural. I'll take you back to the studio to show you the painting process and even further back to the planning stages.


Looking into the living room and the guest room down the hall.

View from inside the library looking across the hall to the living room.

Just outside the kitchen seen through the doorway on the right.

The library is behind the wall on the immediate left and the kitchen is straight ahead.

The view from the living room into the hallway and the library beyond.

Looking into the living room.


Now don't go away blog readers. This should be interesting.

Click on Tumblr for more pictures of this and other projects. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. all too marvelous. And oh, the Low Country...

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful work, scott. and what a tremendous place that is. charleston area is my favorite.

    looking forward to seeing more...

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you. Thank you!

    Oh yes, please come back. There's more, there's more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for including us. Go away? No way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails