Thursday, August 6, 2015

Essex, CT

Took this shot the night I arrived in Essex.


The Griswold Inn, where I ate and slept.


Burn it to the ground! Apparently that’s what the British had in mind in the War of 1812. Instead they spared the town of Essex and burned the town’s ship building trade. But I’m here to tell you it’s back albeit in pleasure craft form and the town preserved in a state of impossible quaintness. I thought when I was there; this is so much less "real" than L.A. because it would seem to be a set designer’s dream, so quintessentially New England.



Inside the Griswold Inn. Do you sense a recurring theme?

   


  
Until my mural is up, touched-up, and passed inspection I’m slightly anxious, have sleeping issues, but I doubt there’s a better place to be a little distressed. Essex did everything it could to relax and reassure me; all is well. Just look at these pictures, will you? And tell me: what’s your favorite hamlet?




Random photos taken in Essex. The village is surrounded by water on three sides.



Where my mural lives; front, back, and waterside of the house.


Next post I’ll take you inside where my mural’s installed.

5 comments:

  1. I can see that your mural will be a perfect complement to this great Greek Revival house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely town. I have to live where I see water, this is such a beautiful site. First visir, found you at Joanny's site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. The people were so nice too! I think was a little surprised because it's not what you might expect from New Englanders.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails