Wednesday, April 5, 2017

A Walk in the Park

Me and my shadows, a mural of Central Park, studio view.

A Walk in the Park


I flew round trip LA to NYC recently and watched on the plane:  Arrival, yet another Amy Adams movie. Trippy. The movie was trippy. I guess my trip was trippy by default and like the story told in the movie I experienced time in something other than a strictly linear manner. It’s Spring as I write this. The seasons turned to Spring while I was in NY but it was a wintry Spring, mostly.


My photo collages for the mural composition. Gallery, top and stairwell bottom

The paper model I made to keep everything straight in my head and on the canvases.


Last winter I completed a mural for an apartment on Central Park South. The subject matter is contextual, it’s the Park. The mural consists of eight panels that line the entry gallery and stairwell. The compositions are the direct result of a walk in the park lead by a knowledgeable guide from the Central Park Conservancy. I had a certain criterion for the trek. I needed a number of views across water to get enough panoramic width to satisfy the area I had to cover. Then I needed height for the stairwell itself and came up with a grotto motif for under the stairs. If you know Central Park you can pick out specific identifiers in the mural that are unmistakable and this was another directive to satisfy.


First view upon entering, the Lake in front of Bethesda Terrace.








Above:Entering, turning to one's right and seeing all gallery panels of the mural.







Above: ascending the stairs up to the 21st floor level.



This apartment on the Park is not ostentatious, really. The area of the mural is relatively intimate so it was decided the painting should be sophisticated, urbane, yet low key. The palette is grisaille but actually consists of color washes created from three distinct hues, a warm, a cool, and a neutral. The value range is so narrow that at times the composition seems to vaporize before your eyes much like the space craft in Arrival. Have I come to the realization that it’s more important knowing what to leave out of a painting? What do you think? Is there anything there, really?






The distinctive green roof makes the apartment building easy to spot.





4 comments:

  1. Interesting to see this large body of work installed. Not much natural light?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the space is internal. That oval window in the stairwell is an interior window to the eating area of the kitchen which does have a window.

      Delete
  2. Very much appreciated seeing the photo collages and paper model, as well as the aerial view of the building, to put things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've got a lot more photos and everything but wanted to keep it concise.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails