Friday, May 8, 2015

Have we Met?






How tiresome! The front stairs are all closed off and the fifth avenue facade looks like a construction zone with tent poles. Must be some stuffy little socialite affair. Actually, turns out it was a set-up for the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art 2015 Gala , ho hum. No, I was not invited.  And I hadn’t planned another trip to see still more FLW ,(please see last blog post),but, oh well, since I’m in might as well. BTW I’m about half way through Frank Lloyd Wright: a biography by Meryle Secrest. Read about the axe murders and fire just before going to sleep last night. Actually, no, I didn’t sleep, well hardly.



So let us get into some really dreamy imagery. That would include most everything in the Sultans of India, 1500-1700 Opulence and Fantasy. Although, does shooting a disembodied head with a bow arrow count as a dream? Whatever, I couldn’t help staring at this odd little cosmos. Then I’ll take you over to the other end of the building, the American wing, for some Louis Sullivan and his offspring FLW. Let’s stop in a wee cozy gallery to see a charming collection of Robert Motherwell prints and circle back around to gaze upon an awesome Japanese room and end up contemplating Cleopatra’s Needle in the springtime. Done and done.

Detail of Sullivan staircase. Gorgeous, no?
Comfy. I think I could be very happy here.



Is there anything more beautiful in the whole museum than this?

Oh, there’s more of course. I went to the Met two days in a row, filled up a memory card, but that wasn’t even the reason for my trip. It was spring. Isn’t that enough of a reason? No? I’m teasing. Actually the point was nutmeg, I mean the Nutmeg State.

Motherwell, champion of the Abstract Expressionist.

A long way form Egypt.

Springtime in New York. Someone should write a song about it.



We’ll get there. We’ll get there.

2 comments:

  1. I love that image with Bahamut and I am crazy about that green color especially when there is that red color. I adore the Met. Once I was there 8 hours straight and was about to leave when I heard they were open late so I stayed four more hours. I could barely walk when I left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne, I know what you mean. I feel the same way about that color combination. Re: the Met, funny thing is I told myself I was going to avoid it altogether this trip. I did also go the MOMA and a little museum called the Rubin on 17th St. Tried to get into the Whitney which my N. Am. Museum card allows but they wouldn't have it. "Special Whitney members only" for currently the hottest museum in town.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails