Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Birdsong


My altered cover of Veranda, October 2014.

Slow time, stop time, go back in time. Wadmalaw Island makes you think all of that’s possible. If you’re out on the island you've likely come from Charleston, an antique city that lulls you in to thinking time travel is possible. Forty minutes from Charleston it’s deeply rural, unspoiled, serene, and bucolic. The October issue of Veranda has the story of Birdsong, a farm on Wadmalaw Island, and the site of my largest mural to date. It’s been well documented on this blog but here’s a refresher.



Nearly 160' of hallway, 160' of mural.

The vaporous woods of Birdsong.

Looking toward the side door.

A view into the guest room.

Detail of mural and sconce, the wild and the refined.

The marshy low country.

Turning the corner on the kitchen wall.

Spanish moss? Yes, lot's of it.

One of my favorite passages, a little abstract corner outside the kitchen.


My first job as a muralist is to decide on the overall look of the piece to make sure it fits seamlessly with the architecture and interior design. At Birdsong the mural is soft and impressionistic and I chose to portray the kind of dreaming atmosphere associated with the magic hour and misty mornings. The result is a work that one will not tire of because it is minimal and calming.

View of the Wadmalaw River.

The hall outside the library.

I think that shall never see...

The kitchen hallway.

A tangle of nature.

The spread in Veranda Magazine, October 2014.

I've gone back through my pictures of the making of, the installation of, and the mural hung with the interiors filled. It’s much more than you can see in Veranda though they say the tablet version of the magazine has more. I revisited the architect, Glenn Keyes’, site which has some lovely photos. Use the search box on my blog and type in "Wadmalaw" for more on this project.



10 comments:

  1. Scott, nice to meet you.
    I too paint, I faux, plaster, and custom Tromp L'oeil the Walls of Estate Homes here is Southern Ca. I do all the interior designs and last of all place my stamp on the home with hand painted murals.

    so nice to see your beautiful work

    xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work as usual, Scott. Congratulations on this plum bit of press!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lynne. I think it's the only house of a client that I actually could imagine living in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous work. Just gorgeous.

    My friend, Karen Peterkin, told me to check out your site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott your art is absolutely mesmerizing; a gorgeous mural! Thank you for sharing this beauty with us!
    Congrats!
    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena



    ReplyDelete
  6. It is as soft as silk, the muted restraint of a genteel hand with wisps of images, lightly rendered like the clear yet fading song of the hidden bird,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails