Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Good-bye


Say Good-bye to summer and all of that. It just sailed out to sea on a container ship. Yes? No! I don't know why you say good-bye. I say hello.



Hello blog readers. Here and now I present one of my strangest commissions: a mural of the Charleston harbor with Fort Sumter on the horizon and a cargo vessel sailing away as a Gauguin nude rings the wet out of her hair. What the.....? I don't know but maybe this looks really kind of wonderful installed. Since I don't have pictures of that I decided to inundate you with multiple studio shots.






This piece was painted for the home of an architect who's well known for his beautifully detailed classical architecture. So given that I have to assume this rather eccentric wild mural looks great in its setting. Because if you have one sort of thing, a square for instance, you'd do well to counter it with a circle. Or you know how Marc Chagall's mural looks so great on the ceiling at the Palais Garnier.








This project was painted in 2003. What were you doing in 2003?  I had forgotten I painted this piece. But I dug it out to share with you because you're special. Maybe I'll be able to update you with some installation shots. In the meantime I give you image details, odd angles, and full views with ladders and such to give some idea of scale. The figure is close to life size. Actually maybe it is life size. What do think of all of this?

6 comments:

  1. Scott, I would love to see this as installed!
    __ The Devoted Classicist

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there, I missed the girl. Gritty, smelly, working, imperfect, hot and sticky are part of the total Charleston Package.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I will work on that!

    Terry, Are you sure you're not talking about Savannah?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty cool.
    Kim
    www.inspiredlines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, I think I might agree with you if I could see it in context.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NKQ, I looked up your Great(ness) Aunt. There's a lot to like there, though, I can't say I know why I remind you of her. Thanks so much for stopping by. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails